As I was perusing through my Read shelf on Goodreads I wasn’t really sure I could even make it to 5 books to feature here for you today. But I, unexpectedly, ended up with 11 books, and all of them I decided to share. These novels tackle in some way or on some level those topics that are not so easy to write about.
Out of the 11 I decided to highlight just the 5; the ones that impacted me the most (Some are favorites) while reading them and have managed to stay with me in one way or another.
- He + She by Michelle Warren. It holds a lot of mystery, the main female character deals heavily with PTSD throughout the romance but it still manages to be a sweet and an incredibly realistic novel. 5 Stars
- Tampa by Alissa Nutting. One of toughest books I’ve ever read. I even contemplated DNFing it. Yes, it was that hard. But it was a brilliant novel. In it we meet Celeste Price, an English teacher, a sexual predator, with a fondness for 14 year old boys. 4 Stars
- Burying Water by K. A. Tucker. The main character was left for dead after an abusive relationship. With a slow moving plot, the story shows Water’s own resilience. 4 Stars
- Yaqui Delgado Wants To Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina. A pretty straighforward book about bullying and what it means to be Latina (The portrayal of this might be debatable). 5 Stars
- Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. What more can I say about JR? Well for starters, it deals with death, what it means to be abandoned by a mother consumed by drugs and also grief. 5 Stars
Other Books Worth the Mention You can click on any title and it’ll take you to Goodreads so you can read each one’s synopsis.
- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
- A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- Looking for Alaska by John Green
- Stand-Off by Andrew Smith
- Alice by Christina Henry
Books With “Hard Topics” I’d like To Read
Top 5 Wednesday was created by Booktuber Lainey at Gingerreadslainey, it’s now hosted by Samantha at Toughts on Tomes and you can find other T5W-ers, the topics and guidelines on the Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads Group.